Saturday, January 15, 2011

Melbourne


Hey All,
This is just a quick post, as I have kept as up to date as the limited Internet connection will allow.  We have spent the past two days in Canberra, this nation’s grand, but obscure, and wildly unknown capital.  We were looking in the Lonely Planet (a travel guide) and Canberra (the nation’s capital, mind you) wasn’t even mentioned.  In the morning, we all trooped up to the Australian War Memorial/Museum.  After about an hour or two of exploring Australia’s part in World War 1 and 2, and others, Ian, Mum, and I happily went off to Questacon, to lighten the mood.  Gavin, as you might have guessed happily spent the entire day there reading all the plaques that Ian didn’t allow Mum and I to.  Questacon was really cool.  It was a mash up of the Calgary science center, a children’s museum, and a theme park.  The best part for all of us was definitely the “face your fears” part.  Ian and I dropped down a 6-meter vertical slide twice and we both would have gone more had the employees permitted us.  I tried out a fake guillotine, which was silly and terrifying at the same time.  It’s the suspense that gets you.  I stuck my head and arms into their rightful places and waited for what felt like 3 minutes until it came whooshing down right on top of my neck.  Thankfully, it stopped just before it hit me, or else I would have spent a couple of days in the hospital.  I came out of the experience relatively unharmed except for the feeling in my ears that comes from the ascent and descent on an airplane.  I promise you, I wouldn’t have done it again for any amount of money under fifty dollars as it took a couple of minutes for my hearing to go back to normal.  After that, Ian, Mum, and I went on a simulated roller coaster ride, which felt pretty real, but the graphics were a little a cheesy.  That night, our family ate with Ian’s new friend Tom and his family, little Hue, Older Patrick and his parents Justin and Shmilla.  Ian has taken after the Farquhars, with all their ability to befriend in a few short moments.  Today, we are in Melbourne after about 8 hours of driving.  All of our tempers are short and after such a long time driving none of us has any patience to spare.  Anyways, I miss you all and everything in Canada, but Australia is pretty nice I have to say.
Hugs,
Ali

5 comments:

  1. omg tht sounds like sooo much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!! btw ali just so u no i dont think any airplane people will let u come back with a guillotine but if they do.... buy 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will. Pretty sure it would be too big to go on an airplane. I might have to ship it on a boat or something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ali!! That guillotine thing scared the daylights out of me, I ended up grazing my chin because I tried to pull my head out of it on our year 6 excursion... :/ miss you tonnes

    ReplyDelete
  4. That thing was terrifying!!!
    Miss you too!

    The urge to pull my head out in time was huge, but I managed to not.
    I was shaking when it was over. :D

    ReplyDelete